-
May 4th, 2006, 02:45 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Does anyone know the original finish/colour of the 612 utility cabinets mid to late 50s early 60s ? In black and white pictures I've seen of the 612 cabinets in Abbey Road Studios they seem to be finished in a Hammerite type of paint (also known as Hammertone) Any information would be great.
-
May 4th, 2006, 04:02 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Hi, Gary,
For the old 612s, the lit. says "protective grey industrial paint". Having only seen them at a distance, I had believed they were tolexed, but apparrently it was a textured paint as you say.
Most spraycan hammertones I've used dried pretty glossy, and not really that textured. If you're using a pressure-sprayer, automotive textues, like used in trunk liners, can be used, and a topcoat of gas-meter grey industrial enamel could get you really close. With textured paint, anything that ends up too glossy for your taste can be knocked down with fine steel wool easily, and it still looks great. If you can locate some real gas-meter industrial enamel, the stuff is almost indestructible, and after use gets that dusty-grey appearance like real 612s.
http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/uti...abinets.th.htm
-
May 13th, 2006, 01:17 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I worked for an Altec sound contractor in the 70's. When we made these cabinets they were painted what I call "Battleship Grey". (That would be American battleships by the way). We used a grey enamel. Same color I've painted my shop floor come to think of it.
Get yourself some heavy duty epoxy grey floor enamel paint and you'll be set.
-
May 13th, 2006, 01:25 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Follow up:
I've never seen them "textured". We (in Seattle) never built them "textured". I think "texture" would be the result of a sauced painter. On the other hand, Altec handed out instructions for building cabinets and I believe *most* cabinets were built locally by the contractor, not bought from Altec, so you'd expect to see quite a wide variation in color and "texture".
-
May 13th, 2006, 05:17 AM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
During Altec's first 'industrial gray' period, it was ANSI 49 medium gray air dry enamel. Real 'Battleship Gray' is a mil spec version. Never seen a textured finish on a factory cab. Indeed, as time past, the thickness steadily declined on all the utility cabs until it looked more like a thick stain than a proper coating. The few MDF cabs I've seen though looked like they were epoxy coated, it was so thick.
Anyway, for a reference, most electrical panels are coated with this gray, though during those years a little wax was added that rose to the surface during the accelerated drying process to give it a little sheen.
Anyway, if they were Hammertone, it would have been custom either by Altec or the installer during this timeframe based on all the cabs/pics I've seen.
GM
-
May 13th, 2006, 10:08 AM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi GM-
I owned a pair of what I'm pretty sure were factory cabs with the Hammertone. Kinda like the finish on old Leica cameras, if any of you are into those. These were probably at least 1960 or earlier.
Altec used several finishes before stndardising. Note this 1949 catalog specifies "blue gray" So does a 1951 catalog.
The utility gray didn't start showing up on spec sheets till late '50's.
http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...1949/page5.jpg
It's certainly possible that dealers did the Hammertone. Makes me think though cause I had a pair in Ohio an Gary's talking about UK. FWIW it was a popular finish in that time period.
-
May 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
The originals did have a Hammertone finish. they went to a plain gret later, as did all cabs AFAIK.
Something similar towards the bottom of the page here:
http://www.tooled-up.com/Artwork/Pro...UR%20CHART.pdf
This is metal paint. Might contact the vendor or mfr to see if it's ok on wood. I just plain don't know.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks